8 Law Road, North Berwick EH39 4PN Can-Do is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO): SC049885
Our Management Committee of parents is central to the running of Playschemes. Without parents volunteering 2 hours a month of their time, Playschemes could not operate. It is essential that new members are recruited regularly to ensure continued funding and support. We are regulated by OSCR and as such are legally obliged to be a parent run organisation.
There are currently only 10 parent Committee Members. Sixty-eight families currently benefit from the services of Playschemes each year. See how our committee is formed here.
If you are interested in joining the Committee or have any questions then please contact us.
OSCAR Guidelines for Management Committee Members
As a registered charity ELSNP is regulated by OCSAR (office of the Scottish charity regulator) and works under the legal requirements of The Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005.
This act outlines the legal responsibilities of Management Committee members (trustees) as listed below:
• ensure the charity is run properly, responsibly and lawfully
• ensure the charity is solvent
• act as guardians of the charity’s assets
• ensure the board is “fit for purpose” and the charity trustees are working together
• apply a duty of care to paid staff and volunteers
ELSNP sets out in our constitution the following arrangements to ensure that we comply with our legal obligations and ensure all the charities accounts and activities are coherent with the registered purpose:
• The Playscheme shall hold in each calendar year an Annual General Meeting at such time and date as shall be determined by the Committee holding office.
The business transacted at the Annual General Meeting shall be:
(a) presentation of the annual accounts for the preceding financial year
(b) appointing an auditor or independent external examiner
(c) election of Committee members and Office Bearers.
(d) a report by the Co-ordinator
• 10 General meeting are held each year. No business shall be transacted at a General Meeting unless a quorum of members is present at the time when the meeting proceeds to business. Four (4) members, present in person, shall be a quorum.
• The Committee shall cause to be kept minutes of the proceedings at all General Meetings. Such minutes shall be submitted to the next succeeding General Meeting and, after approval, be authenticated by the signature of two committee members.
• The Committee shall elect from its number a Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer all of whom must be parents.
The safeguards set out in Playschemes constitution ensure that members regularly agree and review the strategy and policies of the charity; agree financial delegation, agree budgets, and monitor financial performance; agree framework for support and management of paid staff and volunteers; ensure procedures are in place to keep up-to-date with legal responsibilities, e.g. employment legislation and annually review the progress and effectiveness of the charity and agree priorities for improving performance.
Our Management Committee meets in the last week of the month apart from July and December. Meetings are held in the lovely bright meeting room of North Berwick Community Centre. Meetings usually take place at 9.30 am and last about one and a half hours. We are always looking for ways to encourage more parents to join and as such, are flexible with regards to venue and time.